Go For Success! Creating Business and Personal Goals that Inspire and Motivate
Are you feeling motivated to set some strong goals for this year? Write down those New Year''s resolutions and get going, right? Most people write down lofty resolutions that they think they should want and rarely stick to them, losing motivation and focus within three weeks of their "good intentions."This is a brand new year of limitless possibilities. Do you want to:
- Increase your income?
- Write a book?
- Attract a relationship?
- Start a new business?
- Become a professional speaker?
- Have more personal time?
- Take a really great vacation?
I''ve got a gut feeling it''s going to be a GREAT year, a BIG SUCCESS year. So, forget writing down resolutions. They don''t work. In fact, the whole idea doesn''t really inspire action. So, let''s change that.
Start thinking about 3-5 things you want, really want for yourself this year. Not what you should want, or what you think would please others. Dream a little. Think big. What are you passionate about? Entertain several ideas that make you smile, excite you, make you giggle, make you feel really good inside ? no holds barred. Remove all mental barriers to holding these ideas clearly in your mind.
Now, put your attention fully on one of the things you want for yourself this year. Visualize and see yourself already there, living it! Creative visialization is a powerful tool of attraction.Our minds cannot tell the difference between something real and something intensely imagined. Hold that picture in your mind. (Do this daily!)
- Does this picture excite you - make you want to have it?
- How would your life change if you got (achieved) this one thing you really want?
- What would you have in your life that you don''t have now?
Now, the next step is very important. You must decide to go for it. Choose to have what you really want NOW ? not someday or tomorrow. NOW. Say YES to yourself instead of saying no. Making the decision fuels your intent to take action.
3 Tips to Get on Track
- On paper, clearly describe the 3-5 things you really want. I suggest using statements beginning with the phrase " I intend to?" vs. I want, I hope for, I wish to, I''d like, I desire etc. (too wishy-washy). Taking a stand with strong definitive statements reflects your commitment to succeed. (This first step is important in creating your road map to achieving your goals. If you don''t define the results you want, how do you know where you''re going?). Feel like being creative? Make a collage or dream board for a visual aid in keeping your focus.
- Moving forward, break down your action steps into smaller steps over a shorter time period like 30 days. For example: your goal is to increase your income ? your first step may be to explore options to generate more money. Another step may be to look at your skills and talents for further ideas. A third step may be choosing something you have always wanted to do, something that you love that has the potential for additional income. Maybe it''s a total change of career. The first month may be devoted to doing research and personal exploration.
- Identify potential obstacles and struggles that could prevent you from reaching your goals. Develop strategies to keep yourself motivated and focused such as reading and listening to positive materials, surrounding yourself with encouraging, uplifting people, joining a mastermind group. HIRE A COACH! Note ? let go of using the "money excuse" that you can''t afford to get what you want. Invest in your success. It costs money to make money. How much do you think NO is costing you to stay where you are?
5 Tips to Stay on Track
- Resolve unfinished business. Either clear the past ( make apolgies, speak your mind, forgive someone or yourself) and let it go.
- Stay strong if you''re feeling FEAR. Bring your attention back to the present. Fear creates uncertainty, worrisome and anxiety producing thoughts. ("What if" thinking, Am I going to be okay?) Fear looks at the future and worse case scenarios. Focus on past successes for confidence.
- Eliminate negativity. Notice the chatter in your head. How do your emotions speak to you inside? What you think affects how you view a situation. Ever heard the phrase self-fulfilling prophecy? Your viewpoint affects your decisions and actions; therefore your attitude directly affects the outcome. Take a look at the people you associate with. Are they uplifting or do they bring you down? Be selective about who you''re with ? being around consistently negative or fearful people is draining and disheartening.
- Keep up your self-care. Taking good care of yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually is a key factor in staying strong and focused under pressure.
- Celebrate along the way. Taking the time to recognize measurable successes motivates continual commitment to your goals.
"The big challenge is to become all that you have the possibility of becoming. You cannot believe what it does to the human spirit to maximize your human potential and stretch yourself to the limit." Jim Rohn
It''s a New Year. Make it a GREAT one!
Copyright 2005, Lorraine Cohen
Lorraine Cohen of Powerfull Living (http://www.powerfull-living.biz) is a Business Coach and Life Strategist and Team Member of Solo-E (http://www.Solo-E.com). Integrating her therapy background with coaching, she helps people make more money, manage their time, increase self-assurance, resolve inner conflict, stay focused on the results they want, and balance work and home life.
Find more articles like this at http://www.Solo-E.com ? Keeping Solo Entrepreneurs Juiced in Business and in Life. Our team of Solo Entrepreneurs are comprised of small business experts who support others in finding business success with the flexibility and freedom to have a life, too. Network with other freelancers, self-employed and Solo Entrepreneurs in our forums, enjoy our articles and newsletter, and find other online training opportunities, 153, 'Go For Success! Creating Business and Personal Goals that Inspire and Motivate, Goal-Setting, Goal-Setting articles, Goal-Setting information, about Goal-Setting, what is Goal-Setting, Goal Setting Information', 'Go For Success! Creating Business and Personal Goals that Inspire and Motivate plus articles and information on Goal-Setting');